Read our FAQ's
- Who is eligible?
- How can I nominate my city?
- Do I have to sign up on Facebook?
- I can't find the contest on Facebook.
- How can I vote on Facebook mobile?
- I need help with the Bark for you Park website.
- How can I secure land for a dog park?
- How can I get my civic leader to show support?
- How can I increase my city's chances?
- How are finalist cities selected?
- How do I know another city isn't cheating?
- What happens once the finalist cities are selected?
- When will I know the finalist cities?
- How many times can I vote?
- How do I know how many votes my city has received?
- Do I have to nominate or vote for the city that I live in?
- What do I do if my city has been entered twice?
- If there is a close city can we combine our efforts?
- Do I have to have approval from my city mayor or another government official?
- How can I tell my friends and family?
- How exactly we can use the money?
- I'm a media representative/blogger.
- I have other questions or concerns.
- What is PetSafe?
- How do I start planning my communities dog park?
- I am an RSC associate, vendor, distributor or a family member to one.
- Will PetSafe sell my information?
- How can I get my question answered?
- What is the Bark From Your Heart Award?
- What is the 7 Vote Sniff out?
- When do we develop our finalist ad?
- Does the finalist ad help us get more votes?
- How can I share my city's finalist ad?
- Why did my city's votes go to 0 in phase II?
- What is the "Howl at the Moon" period?
- When does the contest end and how do we know who won?
- How can I get more involved with Petsafe?
- What do we do after we win?
- What if we didn't win?
1. Who is eligible to win the Bark for Your Park contest?
The $100,000 and four $25,000 awards for a PetSafe dog park are available to any community in the continental U.S. All communities are encouraged to nominate themselves and participate in the contest. A city may only win one of the prizes and previous Bark for Your Park grand prize winners are not eligible to win the grand prize more than once.
2. How can I nominate my city to win?
Go to www.petsafe.net to nominate your city. You will also be able to indicate whether you're a community member, civil servant, or media representative. Your community will then need to come together to find land, get your civic leaders involved and rally votes. We'll consider the number of votes, availability of land and community population when selecting the 15 Finalists. Note: Radio Systems Corporation associates, family members, and RSC vendors or distributors may not participate in the Bark for Your Park contest.
3. Do I have to sign up on Facebook to participate?
No. However, you are allowed to vote on the PetSafe Facebook page every day. Throughout the contest, you may submit one vote per person per day on Facebook and at www.petsafe.net.
4. I can't find the contest on Facebook. How can I participate?
Visit www.facebook.com/PetSafeBrand, and click "Like." Then, click on the "Bark for Your Park" tab.
5. I use Facebook on my smart phone. How can I vote on Facebook mobile?
Unfortunately, Facebook Mobile doesn’t support tabs which is where the contest is located on our page. But, have no fear, Facebook and PetSafe have all your barking needs covered. You can search for “Bark For Your Park” in the search bar of your phone and grant it permission to use your account, just like you would on the web. Once you use the app, Facebook mobile will automatically bookmark the app in the sidebar of your mobile account. As always, if you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. I’m having issues with the Bark For Your Park website. How can I get help?
Make sure you are using one of the following web browsers: Safari, Chrome or Firefox. If you are still having issues, email email@example.com.
7. How can I secure land for a dog park in my city?
Contact your local Parks and Recreation Department, or another civic leader, to see if your community has land available. You also may want to check with local animal organizations to see if any group is already working towards building a dog park. These individuals can give you information about vacant lots which may be available for donation. Dog parks are like dogs; they can come in lots of sizes. Most of the parks we see are at least 1-3 acres, but that’s up to you and community and your dream of your park! There’s so many great things you can add to a dog park. Click here to consider what to include.
8. How can I get my civic leader to show his or her support?
In order to prompt your elected officials to show their support, you may send them a letter, call their office, attend a meeting, or set up an appointment to tell them about the contest. Then, you could help them register for a Bark for Your Park account and encourage them to upload a letter confirming their support. When they see how excited you are to have a dog park and how it will benefit their community, they will be barking just as loudly as you.
9. How can I increase my city's chances of qualifying for the Bark For Your Park Finals?
Be sure your city's profile is updated regularly to reflect your progress. To have a complete application and be considered to become a finalist, a community must have land, civic leader support and votes. Remember, you may vote on PetSafe's Facebook page and www.petsafe.net every day from May 1 to May 31. There are lots of great templates on the Bark For Your Park website that you can download to help get the word out. Place an ad in your local newspapers, share it on Facebook, or print posters and place them in the windows of businesses that support your park. During the finals, make sure you and all of your supporters complete the 7 Vote Sniff Out.
10. How are finalist cities selected?
All completed entries will be considered by PetSafe's judges in regards to land availability, civic leader support, and number of votes, as well as the municipality's population. A total of 15 finalist cities will be selected: five in a small-city category, five in a medium-city category and five in a large-city category. The categories will be determined after the Phase I deadline to complete the application. PetSafe will divide the group of 15 finalist cities into three size categories based on the population data submitted by communities' civic leaders.
11. How do I know another city isn’t cheating in the Bark For Your Park contest?
We have a variety of controls in place to ensure all of the votes that are placed are legitimate. We also have a Code of Conduct that all participants must adhere to throughout the contest.
12. What happens once the finalist cities are selected?
The 15 Finalist will be encouraged to complete a 30 second commercial video ad designed to convince pet-lovers everywhere to vote for your community. The 15 finalist cities will receive a finalist kit that includes lots of tools to help you get the word out to your community to encourage them to bark for their park. The kit has t-shirts for your Dog Park leaders, yard signs to place around town, stickers, window clings and more – all designed to lend you a paw in getting more votes. Daily voting will continue on PetSafe's Facebook page and www.petsafe.net. There will also be opportunities to earn extra votes in our 7 Vote Sniff out and getting 1,000 views of your ad on YouTube.
13. When will I know the finalist cities?
PetSafe will announce the 15 finalist cities on June 13th. Finalist cities will also be sent their finalist packets which we sent out on June 12th. We also call your civic leader and/or Director of Parks and Recreation.
14. How many times can I vote for my city?
Each person can vote twice per day: once on the PetSafe Facebook page and once at www.petsafe.net.You can also earn 7 extra votes during the finals by completing the 7 Vote Sniff Out. We email and post the Sniff Out Clue to Facebook every Friday from June 20th – July 25th.
15. How do I know how many votes my city has received?
Throughout the contest, the number of votes each city receives is tallied by PetSafe and listed on each city’s page on the website. When the 15 finalist cities are announced, we will post a leaderboard so participants may see how they rank. There will be a dark period of voting during the last week called the "Howl at the Moon" period when we will not post a leaderboard. We will make a surprise announcement of the winner on August 7th.
17. Someone entered my city twice, what do we do?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will combine the nomination and votes.
18. A city close to mine is also participating in Bark For Your Park, can we combine our efforts and our votes?
Yes. If two cities that are within 25 miles of each other are both nominated for Bark For Your Park, their civic leaders may choose to combine theirs efforts to improve their chances of winning. One city will need withdraw from the contest and lend their support to the other city. PetSafe will merge the vote totals for the two cities and create a single city. The cities should agree to work together on their effort to win, and in the spirit of team work, choose a convenient local to both cities for their dog park. This can only be done during Phase I (prior to May 31st). Both city civic leaders will need to contact PetSafe at email@example.com.
19. Do I have to have approval from my city mayor or another government official in order to win?
Yes. In order to be considered for a finalist spot, a community's civic leader must create a Bark for Your Park account and upload a letter to the community's profile to show approval and support of the city's participation in Bark for Your Park.
20. How can I tell my friends and family about Bark for Your Park?
When you vote for your city on www.petsafe.net, we'll offer you an option to share information about the contest via Facebook and Twitter. You can also download our fun templates and change your Facebook profile image to let people know to bark, place an ad in your local newspaper, ask your local media to do a piece on your community’s participation to help get the word out and lots more. Get some advice from last year’s Top Dog.
21. If we win, are there stipulations on how exactly we can use the money?
Yes, if your city wins the $100,000 grand prize or a $25,000 prizes, you may only use the prize money to create a PetSafe dog park. For more information, please visit Contest Rules.
22. I'm a media representative/blogger. How can I get more information about this contest?
We're thrilled that you're interested in sharing information about the PetSafe Bark for Your Park contest with your audience. Your support can be a big help in your community’s winning money for a dog park. Please email us to get additional media information.
23. I have other questions or concerns that aren't addressed here. Whom can I contact for more information?
We're here to help throughout the Bark for Your Park contest, and we'd love to connect with you. Please email us to get your additional questions answered.
24. What is PetSafe? How do I learn more about the company and your products?
PetSafe produces the industry's most popular and innovative products in pet training, containment, safety and lifestyle. We are all about giving people a great experience with their pets. We’ve been helping build dog parks for several years because we see how much that make a community even more dog-friendly. We'd love for you to learn more about our company and our products by visiting http://www.petsafe.net/.
25. How do I start planning our commmunity's dog park?
We are so happy you’re so excited to plan your dog park. Visit our dog park page for some helpful hints.
26. I am an RSC associate, vendor, distributor or a family member to one. Can I participate in the contest?
No. RSC associates, family members, and RSC vendors or distributors may not participate in Bark for Your Park. You can inform your city of the contest and encourage their participation. You may not provide advice, guidance, or support to any city.
27. I entered my e-mail address. Will PetSafe sell my information?
No. We never sell your information to a third party.
28. I posted a question on a blog, forum, or social site and PetSafe didn't answer my question. How can I get my question answered?
We are not able to provide advice, guidance, or support to help your city win beyond what is provided on the Bark For Your Park website and PetSafe Blog. We can only answer those questions that refer to the rules of the contest, function of the www.petsafe.net/barkforyourpark website and PetSafe in general. If you asked a question that falls within this criteria and still didn't receive an answer, or if your question is not listed, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
29. What is the Bark From Your Heart Award?
Many cities show a lot of heart in the Bark For Your Park contest but may not have enough votes to win. We wanted to make a special prize for a city whose community clearly demonstrates they want a dog park regardless of their total overall votes. The city that has the highest community participation in the contest (i.e. the highest percentage of votes based on their population) will win the Bark From Your Heart prize - $25,000 to go towards the construction of a dog park in your city. So no matter your size, if you get the largest percentage of your community to bark for your park, you’ll win the Bark From Your Heart Prize and be $25K closer to your very own dog park. So get barking!
30. What is the 7 Vote Sniff Out?
The 7 Vote Sniff Out is a weekly online scavenger hunt to earn 7 extra votes for your favorite finalist. Each Friday visit www.PetSafe.net for your first clue. The clue will hint at a webpage on PetSafe.net. When you find the page, a quiz question will pop up. The webpage with the quiz question includes the answer to the question. When you get the answer correct, you’ll earn a week’s worth of extra votes for your city!
31. When do we develop our finalist :30 ad?
If you are one of 15 finalists, you’ll be encouraged on June 13th to develop a :30 TV ad. The ad should be clever and designed to help you get more votes for your city. Consider working with a local advertising agency, cable company or a marketing class at a local college, university or high school to develop a unique concept that will really get more people to vote for your city to win. Better yet, place your ad on your local TV stations to share your message with even more of your community. We will post the ads on YouTube and you can share it with everyone you know and that can earn you even more votes.
32. How does my city’s finalist ad help us get more votes?
You should encourage people to vote for your city, so the more people that see it, the more votes you should get. Make sure to share your ad from YouTube.
33. How do I share my city’s finalist ad?
Consider connecting your local TV stations and request they place the ad as a Public Service Announcement (PSA). Then go to PetSafe’s YouTube page, find your city’s ad and click on it. Click on the Share link. You can share your video with all your friends and encourage them to vote. But you’ll also get extra votes for their views.
34. My city’s votes didn't reset to 0 in Phase II like in past years, why?
Your city is so lucky to have made it to the finals. The votes you received in Phase I were your qualification to become a finalist. There are also lots of chance to earn extra votes in Phase II, make sure you check out our 7 Vote Sniff Out.
35. What is the "Howl at the Moon" period?
During the last week of voting, the leaderboard will disappear. You will still be able to vote one a day on both the PetSafe Facebook page and at www.petsafe.net. However, voters will not know where each city stands until the Top Dog is announced.
37. How can I get more involved with PetSafe contests and product development?
PetSafe frequently offers contests and giveaways on our social sites. For more information, visit us on Facebook, Twitter and our Paw Print blog at www.petsafe.net/blog. In addition, we have a PetSafe Lab site where we conduct research surveys and in-home product testing. To become an Idea Partner, visit www.labs.petsafe.net.
38. We won! Now what?
Congratulations! Your local Parks and Recreation Department should begin developing construction plans for your park. See our contest rules from more information. You will be able to use your City page as your hub for park activity.
39. We didn’t win. Now what?
You’ve developed a huge amount of support for dog park in your town. You already have land and a civic leader that will support your park. Not only will you be in a perfect position to win next year’s contest, you may be able to do a bit of fundraising and get your park completed. Visit our Dog Park page for more support.