Putting a collar on your dog may seem like a normal safety precaution to attach ID tags and a leash for walking. However, many devoted dog owners are unaware of the frequency and risks of collar strangulation accidents until it is too late.
In honor of Pet First Aid Awareness Month it is important to acknowledge that being aware of hazards is the best way to prevent a horrific and haunting accident such as collar strangulation.
The most frequent and the most fatal collar accidents occur during common play behavior when a dog’s jaw or tooth becomes caught or snagged under a playmate’s collar even if just for a few seconds. When caught, the dogs’ instinct is to pull, twist and panic and one or both dogs’ lives are in immediate danger. Multiple dog households with active players are at increased risk.
Multiple dog Mom, Karin Schoultz, is thankful she is proactive about dog collar safety. Karin was filming her two dogs playing and unexpectedly captured the release of the KeepSafe Collar when that neck biting play behavior became too dangerous. When her beloved dogs are loving life and playing hard Karin knows they are protected from collar strangulation by their KeepSafe Collars.
Watch the video of Karin’s two dogs below.
Dog owners from across the country share their happy ending testimonials of the KeepSafe Collars protecting their dogs in the backyard, in the home or wherever accidents may occur:
- Some relatives were visiting and the dogs were all in the yard playing. There was a lot of high energy neck biting going on. When the visiting dog got extra rough the KeepSafe collar snapped open and released my dog just like it was supposed to. My dog was able to escape without injury. I am so glad I made the switch. Thanks for a great product. J.M. Texas
- Our vet told us about your breakaway collars after our dogs became entangled and nearly died choking each other. I have felt more secure from the moment they arrived. The play continues at full-speed but the KeepSafe Collars work like a charm and keep them safe. Thank you! CD Massachusetts
Collars also can and do become snagged on fences, crates, deck boards, furniture, cabinet and door knobs, vegetation, floor vents and many other objects.
- I found my dog’s KeepSafe Collar released and hooked inside his crate. I am still thankful for the day I understood that the KeepSafe Collars could save my dog’s life. That day is a reality. These collars are the best thing going. K. H. Maryland
- I came home to find my dog’s KeepSafe Collar released near the fence where she had had been digging and playing. I don’t want to know what would have happened if she was wearing any other collar. Luckily I don’t have to worry about it – she will always be wearing her KeepSafe Collar C.C North Carolina
- The KeepSafe Collar has been a lifesaver for our rescue dog. She likes to be helpful and is curious about the dishwasher when it is open. With her head in the dishwasher the rack slid under her collar. When she pulled back her KeepSafe Collar released saving both our precious dog and the dishes. J.M. Ohio
The KeepSafe Collar with its patented break-away buckle is designed to be your dog’s everyday safety collar. If you are home or if you are away, when dogs are supervised or unsupervised, the KeepSafe Collar is the solution to collaring your dog safely.
One of the saddest things we hear is when a grieving dog owner says “If I had only known this could happen”. Owners who would do anything in the world to protect their dogs wish they had been aware that their dog’s conventional collar could strangle their dog in an unexpected instant.
Collar strangulation accident prevention starts with you. Please be aware of collaring your dog safely.
Originally a New Yorker, Tenney is a Cornell grad, a former Animal Control Officer in New York, worked in Washington, DC in animal welfare and served as a Peace Corps volunteer. Rural Virginia has been home to Tenney for over 20 years where she keeps a large animal family safe and happy and enjoys looking for bear tracks in the Blue Ridge.