Black Friday: Pet Store Etiquette

By Natalie Lester, PetSafe Brand Marketing Specialist

As we all get ready for Thanksgiving next week, we are looking forward to the relaxation and feast ahead. Hopefully, you’ve planned some fun for your pets as well. I’m looking forward to celebrating with Emma for the first time ever. After all, she has added so much to my life in the last eight months and definitely reminded me to count my blessings. It will be great for both of us to rest.

black friday pets

Does your pet go shopping with you on Black Friday? What tips do you have for other pet owners?

However, in the back of my mind, I know the rest will only prepare me for the next day’s 3 a.m. alarm clock and race to the stores. Black Friday is a fun tradition for all the ladies in my family. After we clean up the kitchen from our meal, we re-cover the table in all the coupons and flyers we can find to scout out the best deals.

Sometimes we divide and conquer to attempt and cover the most grounds, but sometimes we stay together to enjoy the memories. One thing is sure, around noon we are usually dead on our feet and ready to stuff our bellies full of leftovers before a nap.

In my efforts to include Emma in all my fun traditions, I want to take her to a pet shop on Friday to let her pick out a few Christmas gifts of her own. Yet, I am also trying to consider the mass crowds and decide if that is really the best plan of attack. You have to be strategic about these things, you know? In any effort, Emma does love the pet store. Sometimes on our visit I notice other doggies who aren’t quite sure how to behave. So, here are a few tips I employ to help Emma mind her manners:

1. Give her a ride. Instead of having her running down the aisle ahead of me, I always put her in the shopping cart. She can still see all the sights and smell all the different aromas but I can keep her safe and ensure she doesn’t go sprinting down the store to explore the pretty packages on her own. Don’t get me wrong, when we get to the toy aisle, I’ll get her out and let her pick out the new play thing of her choice.

2. Keep her attention. I always have a Lickety Stik in my purse – does anyone else’s handbag turn into a diaper bag of sorts for a pet? If I feel Emma is too distracted by everything going on in the store, I can always reach in my bag to find her favorite treat. She instantly refocuses on me and will listen to my request for a lick.

3. Make the trips quick. I always have a list of what I need and can navigate the store pretty easily, especially with Emma in the cart. That way she doesn’t get too tired or frustrated by the trip but it’s a quick and fun experience for both of us.

When I leave the pet store after a fun and productive trip with Emma, I always find myself wishing she could go with me on all my errands.

What about you? Do you have any Black Friday shopping traditions? Have you ever taken your pet out in the madness? Let us know in the comment section below.

ABOUT NATALIE

As the PetSafe Brand Marketing Specialist, Natalie manages The Paw Print blog and generates other brand related content including public relations and promotions. Before PetSafe, Natalie worked in the local media covering politics, education, and religion. Natalie’s puppy, Emma, spends almost as much time in the office as she does.

This entry was posted in Dogs and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Black Friday: Pet Store Etiquette

1. R Hanson says:

Are you freaking kidding me???? I can’t think of a worse place to take my pet than to the Black Friday madness. And it doesn’t sound like you have tried it either. I know that this is just a marketing newsletter, but what irresponsible journalism. . .

Thanks for reading and providing your feedback. I haven’t taken Emma Black Friday shopping yet, but I am going to test the waters Friday afternoon after some of the crowd has cleared. I’ll keep you posted!

2. houndstooth says:

I’m guessing the pet stores will be busy, but not insane like the malls and box stores. Our Black Friday tradition has become to take the dogs with us in the van, head to the Christmas tree farm and head out to cut down our tree. On the way back, there’s a little town that has this amazing Christmas ornament store. We always stop and pick out a few ornaments to take home and add to the tree.

Usually, we head back out for shopping in the afternoon or evening, after a little of the insanity has abated. I don’t always do a lot of shopping that day, but I love watching the crowds!

I’m sure all the stores will be packed! That is a great tradition and I bet the dogs love helping pick out the tree! I love ornament shopping. I’m sure your tree will be as beautiful as the photos you shared a few weeks ago on your blog. We can’t wait to see your Christmas card! :) Thanks for reading, Carrie.

3. Judy says:

Do you have any ideas on how to keep my chihuahua out of the cat’s dishes? I don’t have an appropriate elevated place for the cat food……

Hi Judy, thanks for reading and reaching out to us. The first thing we would suggest is to feed your cat at a certain time of the day and put your chihuahua in another room while your kitty enjoys his/her meal. If that doesn’t work, you can use our Indoor Pet Barrier to keep him away. Put the barrier around the cat’s dish and the collar on your pet. The transmitter will create a zone around the cat dishes from 2 to 12 feet in diameter, which you select. As your dog approaches the zone, he/she will hear a warning tone and then a startling, yet safe static correction. The correction will get his attention, but will not cause your dog any harm. He will soon learn to avoid the area when he hears the warning tones. We also over a Spray Deterrent that monitors movement up to three feet away. When your pet is detected, it sends a quick, safe spray that startles your pet. Let us know what works for you.

4. Connie Packard Kamedulski says:

I have a better idea. Don’t bother with Black Friday. Instead, bring your dog to a local independent pet store celebrating Small Business Saturday. A local independent store like mine. We have great dog toys, treats, clothes and supplies. Many of the 16000 items we stock are from Premier/Radio Systems/Pet Safe. And your pet is welcome in our store.

5. Pingback: Black Friday: Pet Store Etiquette | Holistic Pet Care - For PAWSitively Healthy Pets!