What did the research tell us about the SweepOne Automatic Litter Box?

sweepone litter box

One of our IHUT participants said “Rocco has become very comfortable with the SweepOne and it was an easy transition from his ordinary litter box to his now extraordinary litter box!

By Jessica Medlin, PetSafe Marketing Research Specialist

If you’re a cat owner, you know that having a cat also comes with having a litter box.  An automatic litter box can make it much easier to clean up after your cat.  We completed an IHUT (In-Home Use Test) for our newest automatic litter box – the SweepOne Advanced Auto-Cleaning Litter Box.  From our research, automatic litter boxes can be especially helpful in multiple cat households where the litter box is used more frequently, as over half of our IHUT participants had more than 1 cat.

“I love not scooping a litter box every day.”

Cats prefer a clean litter box and so do their owners!  The SweepOne waste receptacle is enclosed and odor eliminating filters can also be used, if necessary.  Testers that had a cat that didn’t like to cover up their mess were so happy they didn’t have to rush in to cover or scoop the waste to avoid the odors.  Users reported significantly less odor to no odor at all with the SweepOne.  Are you like some of our testers with a dog that likes to explore the litter box?  Those users said they don’t have to worry about the sneaky dog anymore because the cats waste was swept into the waste receptacle when the cat stepped out of the litter box; leaving behind a clean pan of litter.

“I love that there is nearly no odor from this box, that’s the best part in my opinion.  I also feel like my cats are cleaner because the box is always scooped.”

House soiling is a common problem reported by cat owners, including participants in our IHUT.  Cats may eliminate in inappropriate areas for a variety of reasons, the litter box being one possible reason.  Some of the cats in our SweepOne IHUT used the bathroom in various places when they had a traditional litter box – rugs, the bathtub, even the laundry!  After replacing their traditional litter box with the SweepOne, users reported their cats were using the SweepOne regularly and no longer eliminating in inappropriate areas.

“The cats took to the SweepOne well and have stopped using our laundry!”

The SweepOne was much more convenient for users than their previous traditional litter boxes.  Testers said they used to clean their traditional litter box sometimes multiple times per day, taking anywhere from 4-15 minutes to clean up after their cats each time.  And, if you’re like some of the participants in our IHUT and don’t want to scoop the box and completely discard all litter each time, that can add up to a lot of wasted litter and time!  Since the SweepOne automatically rakes the litter after each use, testers no longer had to scoop the litter after their cat used it, saving time and some even reported using less litter over time.

“It has made clean up a breeze, it saves on litter and my time. It works great, is quiet, and the cats love it.  I would recommend it to everyone.”

Common locations that our testers chose for their SweepOne were the laundry room, living room, and bedroom.  If in common living areas, such as the living room, the appearance may be important to you, especially if you frequently have visitors.  The SweepOne has a sleek, durable, and modern design.  So it will look great in any room and the motor is quiet so it will not disrupt your daily activities.  Testers that placed it in their bedroom said the SweepOne was so quiet that it never woke them up from their sleep!  Our IHUT participants also said they used to have trouble finding a litter box that was spacious for their larger cats, but said the SweepOne had plenty of room for their cats.

“The SweepOne is very sleek and easy to set up.  It is very quiet and meets all of my expectations.  It’s a 10 on a scale of 1-10!”

The SweepOne will make a great addition to your household and can help you clean up after your cat.  It’s set to hit stores this summer, so keep an eye out on our website so you’ll know when it’s ready!  Visit PetSafe Labs, our online research laboratory, to learn more about our research and how you can participate in a research study!

This entry was posted in Dogs. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to What did the research tell us about the SweepOne Automatic Litter Box?

1. charles houck III says:

I would like to try it

2. Deloris says:

We have had several other “automatic” litter boxes and we were in the market for a new one because our last one was really old and not doing a very good job. We have always experienced more mess and clean up from the previous “automatic” boxes. The clean up was never an easy task.

We started doing research and looking at newer versions and went into Pet Smart and they had just gotten this new model. It looked a little pricey, but as we really studied the model and the features, we decided to invest in the new SweepOne Automatic Litter Box. Wow!!! how happy have we been!!! Love the clean up …..just pull out the tray and you are done. It cleans as none of the others. The litter last much longer because it cleans so well. I would highly recommend this product to anyone that has a cat and likes the ease of clean up. The fact that the unit can be disassembled with ease for total clean up is wonderful, also. Wonderful product and great design.

3. Jeniffer White says:

We bought the sweepone because our existing automatic litterbox wasnt big enough for our growing cats. After about a month with the sweepone, we are ready to smash it with a hammer. We have multiple cats and the sweeping part just isnt working. The metal bars that sweep just slice big pieces into smaller ones. The grate at the end just ends up with all the wet stuff underneath so we hear this awful popping noise. So upset we spent $200 on this. :((((!!!!!

• Sarah Folmar says:

Hi there,

We appreciate your comment very much, and want to make sure your product is working properly. Please call our Customer Care Department at 800-732-2677 so that we are able to find a solution for you. Our hours of operation are M-F 8a-8p EST, and Saturdays from 9-5. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

4. Laura Dekowski says:

I too am ready to smash mine. Red light flashing, unplugging, turning on/off, scraping out everything I can see on the sides by the sliders and in both endzones. Nothing works. I cannot get it to stop flashing red and clear whatever is wrong with it or manually sweep. I also experience awful popping noises like it is breaking. So sad that I wasted $200 on this. I actually had my first SweepOne replaced by PetSafe and this one is just as bad. FAQs in the manual and online tell you nothing about troubleshooting a flashing red light and a sweep mechanism that WILL NOT MOVE.

• Sarah Folmar says:

Hi Laura,

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues. We would love to help you find a solution to what you are experiencing. If you could email us at social@petsafe.net with your contact information, we would like to have our Consumer Experience Advocate contact you to find a resolution. We hope to hear from you soon, and thank you for letting us know what is happening with this product.

5. JM says:

Any idea when these will be available in the Pacific Northwest? PetSmart doesn’t seem to carry them out in this part of the country.

• Sarah Folmar says:

Hi there,

It is looking like this will be available in the summer of 2014 in your neck of the woods. Thank you for your comment, and we can’t wait to hear what you think about it!

6. DB says:

We have also experienced problems with our SweepOne litter box and after watching the box cycle through the process and listing to it make poping noises and watching the metal rake begin to stick in the kitty litter I came to the conclusion the wet litter was jamming up the metal rake. I’ve tried to reduce the amount of litter in the box but that doesn’t seem to work. I don’t know if there is a particular type of litter that would prevent this but it is very disappointing. If there is a solution I’d love to hear it. Thanks, DB

• Sarah Folmar says:

Hi there. We are sorry to hear about the experience you and your pet have had with your SweepOne Litter Box. In order to find a solution to the issue you are having, please contact our Customer Care Department at 1-800-732-2677. Our hours of operation are M-F 8am-8pm and Saturday 9-5, EST. If you prefer online correspondence, you can email us at ccc3@petsafe.net. We look forward to hearing from you soon, and thank you for contacting PetSafe.

7. David Jones says:

Hello,
    My wife and I bought the PAL00-13950 just 11 days ago. We love it. However, this morning, it was making popping noise, the rake stopped and reversed and popped some more. It was as if it was stuck before the rake could go up the ramp. for $175 bucks plus tax, I am pleased. I plan on calling Customer Care today about it but I am not pleased. I want my money back.

8. David Jones says:

If I am having trouble just 11 days in and the warranty after 30 days states that I have to pay to return the product with a defect, that is just not right.
    I do want my money back as I can just see this falling a part after 31 days.
    A stronger warranty would impart a faith in a better made product.

• Sarah Folmar says:

Hi David. We are sorry to hear about this experience, and we are happy to help to get you a replacement if needed after we troubleshoot with you. Please call our Customer Care Department at 1-800-732-2677 M-F 8a-8p or Saturday 9-5, EST. We hope to hear from you soon!