Father’s Day is a time to celebrate dads, including those with four-legged, furry “children.”
Between the times spent going on adventures, playing outside for hours, and, of course, napping together, pet dads do a lot for their dogs. You can be sure your dog appreciates all that you do and will show you in many ways.
- Your dog is happy to see you. What could be better than arriving home at the end of a long day to see your furry child waiting for you at the door? When you’re greeted with a smile and a wagging tail, you know your dog is excited to have you home.
- Your dog takes naps with you. For many dogs, sleeping is a social activity. They nap with their “pack.” If your pet is sleeping with you, whether in your bed or a nap on the sofa, it means he is comfortable with you and trusts you.
- Your dog is interested in what you do. Is your dog almost always by your side? Your dog is letting you know you are a priority in his life, likely because you have made him a priority in yours.
- As your dog shows you how much he appreciates you, they are also providing gifts that keep on giving. Their presents to you are social, emotional and physical benefits that can help you lead a more fulfilling, healthier and happier life.
5 Ways Dogs Improve Your Life
- Healthy Lifestyle: As a pet parent, you will get plenty of exercise making sure your dog stays healthy and active. With the exercise both of you will be getting, you can lose or maintain a healthy weight and keep your heart healthy. Research has found that people with dogs are more likely to have lower blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels, which minimize your chance of a heart attack.
- Stress Relief: Stressed out? Just spend some time with your dog. The time spent petting your dog is enjoyable for him and has been shown to reduce stress in humans by lowering heart rate and reducing hormones that cause stress. If you’re lucky enough to be able to take your dog to work, you can increase your job satisfaction and productivity. Short breaks to walk and play will give you more energy to get through the day.
- Social Interaction: If you’re a single dog dad or are just looking for friends, your pet can help you. Take your dog to training classes, dog parks, or outdoor pet-friendly restaurants and you’re sure to make friends with like-minded pet parents. If you’re anxious about going out into the world and meeting people, dogs can serve as an instant icebreaker to help you connect. Talking about your pets is a great conversation starter.
- Better Mood: Taking on the responsibility of raising a pet is a big commitment, but it will give you a sense of purpose. Your dog depends on you for not only the basics such as food, water, shelter but also for love and attention. Knowing you’re needed can help boost your mood.
- Youthful Energy: Just because you and your dog are growing older together does not mean you have to feel that way. Playing together will keep you both feeling young, boosting your energy and vitality and helping you feel your best.
This Father’s Day, celebrate being a pet parent. Take a lesson from your dog to live in the moment, love unconditionally, and enjoy the time you have with those you love.
From the PetSafe® Brand to all pet dads, Happy Father’s Day!