The air is crisp, heaters are getting turned on, and crock pots are getting dusted off. Speaking of getting dusted off, are there other things in your home that need to be dusted off, tidied up, or tuned up for the cooler months? Probably! Here are a few fall freshening tips for around the house that not only benefit you, but your four-legged family members, too:
- Vacuum upholstered furniture, especially if your cat or dog sheds a little (or a lot). Since the weather is cooling down, more people will be confined to the indoors or entertaining inside instead of outside. You probably want your guests bringing a dish to your fall pot luck or football Friday night party, not a lint roller! Make sure to get rid of any pet hair clinging to your furniture or stuck in the cracks of cushions. And, when spring arrives, you’ll have less to tend to.
- Get cozy by laundering pillow covers, bedding, and blankets. Don’t forget your pet’s bed or blanket, too! If your pet’s bed has a zippered or removable cover, chances are that it is washer and dryer safe, so toss it in there with the other laundry items for a good, deep cleaning. If your pet’s bed doesn’t have a removable cover, check the tag on the bed to see if it’s OK to be tossed in the washer at least. Even if it’s not dryer-safe, you can just air dry it outside in the afternoon while the sun is shining.
- Hit the refresh button this fall and add something fun and new to your home! The Himalayan Blue Drinkwell® Pagoda Fountain combines style and function to give you a fun home accessory that provides fresh, filtered water for your pet. That way, when you’re enjoying your hot cider that makes you feel so good, your pet is also enjoying constantly fresh water making him feel good, too! Himalayan Blue was the People’s Choice Vote Winner on the 2014 DIY Network™ Blog Cabin series on HGTV, so it’s sure to be a talking point with guests!
- Tidy up the kitchen counters by cleaning, removing, and storing away any appliances that haven’t been used recently. This will lead to an uncluttered kitchen and less work for you when family and friends visit for fall gatherings or holiday celebrations at your home. When cleaning your appliances, don’t forget to include your pet’s drinking fountain or automatic feeding device! Some pet fountains are even dishwasher safe, like our stoneware fountains, so that makes for super easy cleaning.
- Stock up on supplies for the winter, such as furnace filters, to avoid any last minute or emergency trips to the store on dicey roads or in cold weather. When making your stock run to the store, don’t forget to snag items for your pets such as fountain filters or poop bags to ensure they’re also ready and stocked up for winter.