From human food to house plants many of the items that are safe for you are deadly for your cats and dogs. Do you know if you have any of these products in your home?
It may be hard to resist the temptation to throw your pet a bit of food from the dinner table, but think about what you are giving him before you do it. While most people know that chocolate is not good for pets, did you know that grapes are deadly as well?
Here are some common foods your pet is allergic to:
- Fatty foods
- Macadamia nuts
- Onions & onion powder
- Yeast dough
- Xylitol-An artificial found in many products like toothpaste, sugar-free foods, breath mints and chewing gum.
Plants and flowers
Plants and flowers may add a pop of color to your home décor, but they can also cause your dog to become very sick. Tulips, Azaleas, Rhododendrons, Chrysanthemum and more can cause irritation and medical problems. Check out this site for more harmful plants and flowers.
Human medications and even your pet’s prescription can harm him. Overdosing a pet’s medication can lead to vomiting and even death. Fabric softeners, power cords and cleaning supplies should be kept out of reach. Also, check your house regularly for mothballs as they are very harmful to dogs.
For a more complete listing of pet poisons read the ASPCA’s article “A Poison-Safe Home.” If your pet has ingested poisonous material call your local vet or the ASPCA’s poison control hotline at (888) 426-4435.