Hey everyone! PetSafe Brand(s)’s resident chef-baker, Yera, here. Our pups give us unconditional love which is why it’s important to show them that love in return. The True Love Puppy Treats recipe was inspired by my love, Roland. He absolutely DEVOURS these treats! The strawberries add a pop of color and make these perfect for Valentine’s Day.
Humans have 6 times more taste buds then our canine counterparts but I wanted to make sure these were packed with puppy loving flavor and wholesome ingredients.
Benefits of these ingredients
- Oats – High in protein and soluble fiber
- Whole Wheat Flour – High in protein and provides energy
- Peanut Butter- Protein again and what pup doesn’t love peanut butter!
- Honey – Helps control allergies and adds a little sweet love.
- Strawberries – High in antioxidants and helps whiten your dog’s teeth
- Egg - Love that protein and it makes dogs’ coats healthy and shiny
- Parmesan Cheese – You love your pup
- Vanilla – You love you too and these will smell much better with a little vanilla
- Yogurt (not shown) – Healthy digestive track
After mixing the dry ingredients, you blend in the peanut butter, honey and vanilla. The mixture will be a little dry but that will be fixed when you add in the strawberries. You should add wheat flour to your strawberries so they don’t clump together in the dough. Mixing the strawberries in with your hands makes the process much easier.
Once the dough comes together, flatten it with a roller to a ¼ inch on a floured surface.
Check out all those strawberries! Use your favorite cookie cutter and place the treats on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicon mat. Brush with yogurt and sprinkle on some parmesan cheese. I used a smaller cookie cutter to sprinkle the cheese.
Bake these goodies and…
treat your pup!
Complete Recipe - True Love Puppy Treats
- 1 cup quick oats
- ½ cup whole wheat flour + more for dusting
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbls peanut butter
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 egg
- ½ cup fresh strawberries, chopped + 2 tsp wheat flour
- ½ tsp vanilla (optional)
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix together oats, flour, and baking powder.
- Stir in peanut butter, honey, and egg. Mix strawberries (and vanilla) with 2 tsp of wheat flour and mix until dough comes together.
- Roll dough out onto floured surface until ¼ inch thick. Cut out treats and place on baking sheet about ¼” apart from each other.
- OPTIONAL: brush treats with yogurt and sprinkle with cheese before baking.
- Bake treats for 15-20 minutes until edges start to brown. Centers may be a little soft but they will get crispy after they cool. Allow treats to cool for 10 minutes before indulging your true love!